So from what I see online this thing has it's own LPX protocol (HDD
block dev over Ethernet) and there are two Git repos for necessary
kernel drivers and some user space tools (of which don't appear to
have been touched in a year). The drawback is there doesn't appear to
be support for newer kernels, even LTS is commonly at 3.10.

You don't really want to ruin your linux box, and although there is
some risk with kernel modules, it is lower than say, rolling a custom
kernel (which may even be necessary for these drivers). That low risk
being said for inserting an external module, I won't tell you what to
do, just offer suggestions :-)

It really boils down to the Linux kernel you're using and if you're
able to successfully compile the module (likely should be okay for
user space tools if module works). No pun intended but this is a very
modular process, I would recommend compiling the kernel drivers first
(to see if they work and play well when using insmod), then try to
compile and run the user space tools. Focus on dependencies for both
of these for the sake if getting it working; I didn't really look too
deep into those. Again, low risk of messing up your Linux box, you're
compiling and inserting a third party module that is entirely
removable if it causes problems.

Taking into account your whole viewpoint on this, why not run a
Windows box and serve the disk up over Windows file sharing and use
cifs in Linux? That would keep the disk management in a gui, while
only needing to learn some basic cifs mounting commands for the Linux
side.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do,
--
Jeremy MountainJohnson
Jeremy.MountainJohnson at gmail.com