Andrew Lunn writes:

>> One difference in working with BSD is that I have to use
>> ::1 in order to tell the middle tier that the back tier is running
>> on the same machine.  On Linux I have to use 127.0.0.1.
>> Are there any conditional compilation macros for BSD so I
>> could write
>
> ::1 should also work on linux, so long as you have IPv6 enabled.

I've run into something related now.   Using sockstat I figured out
that my back tier's listening socket was a tcp6 socket.  I'm able to
connect to the socket when running another process on the same
machine.  But if I try to connect using an Ubuntu machine, I get
connection refused.   I guess it doesn't have IPv6 enabled.  From
what I could tell, there's more interest in figuring out how to disable
IPV6 than enable it.  And nginx on my PCBSD machine has a tcp4
listening socket.

So I figured out how to make my back tier get a tcp4 socket, but I
haven't figured out how to make the middle tier running on the
same machine get connected to it.  Now it gets connection refused.
:(   But the middle tier on the Ubuntu machine works fine now.

I still have the problem with booting PCBSD on another machine.
I couldn't find anything in the bios to disable wireless.  That
machine is one of my better machines, so am kind of hobbling
along with BSD.  The problem I described at the start of this thread
was so serious that I only found relief with BSD, but BSD is no
picnic.  I heard U2's "I Still haven't found what I'm looking for" at a
gas station the other day.  I laughed.

--
Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises - 'The fool has said in his heart, “There