On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 4:23 PM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I ssh to a server, is there any way to tell the server which tty to
> assign?  E.g., /dev/pts/7

I would seriously doubt it. Terminal assignment is a kernel-level function,
and opening that up to user processes would introduce all manner of venues
for abuse.

I'm curious to hear about *why* you are separating your HISTFILEs, though.
My guess is that you have a set of different ssh session "types", and you
want to be able to isolate history entries for each function. Is that
correct?

If so, I'm fairly certain that we can come up with another system for you
that is not tied to getting assigned a specific pts.

-Erik