When I ssh to a server, is there any way to tell the server which tty to
assign?  E.g., /dev/pts/7

It seems that the default behavior is to assign the lowest number
available.

The reason I ask is that I am using a sytem where I store bash history
using a HISTFILE name based on the tty:

export HISTFILE=~/.bash_history$(tty | sed 's|/|_|g')

That is nice when I have a lot of connections to the server, but say one
connection is killed -- even if the needed tty is not in use, a different
one may be assigned on reconnection.  So this is my problem - how to get
the one I want.

I do have a way to get around this, but it is annoying:  I can open
another ssh session to the server, then repeatedly ssh from that same
connection to the same server to occupy the lower-numbered /dev/pts/*
ttys.  Once all are occupied with smaller numbers than the one desired, I
can make my ssh connection and get the right tty.

Mike