Sorry that I was so terse this morning.

OpenZFS, per se, is newer than the Oracle acquisition of Sun.

There are many ZFS trees, these days. (And, in this era of distributed
source control, that's not a big deal anyway. )

Each of FreeBSD, ZFS on Linux, et al, have their own trees. OpenZFS isn't
code -- its an umbrella organization to promote common development across
the open source implementations of ZFS.

There have been two recent Ars Technica articles on ZFS and btrfs that are
well worth reading if you're interested in this space. (Even the comments
are valuable, believe it or not!)

Thomas