On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 3:56 PM, Munir Nassar <tclug at beitsahour.net> wrote:
> The problem is most likely twofold,
> 1. Space, modern GPUs are big and bulky, mostly due to the heatsinks.
> 1.5 heat dissipation due to the space constraints.
> 2. power, most server platforms are not equipped with the additional
> power output(PCIe power rails) to support a GPU.

I recently had an R620 apart.  Munir is correct, there may not be
enough room for the heatsink in the PCI-e slot.  There is definitely
no where for the heat to go.  If you opt for the 10Gb onboard NIC,
you'll see it has a heat pipe.  If a NIC (of all things) needs a heat
pipe, I can only imagine what a GPU would need in the confined space.

Brian