What other providers are in the area? AT&T or Sprint might have better coverage (the Virgin Mobile MiFi uses/used Sprint’s 3G network).

What about long-range point-to-point wifi? Satellite receiver dishes or wide/high-gain 2.4GHz and 5GHz antennae? I’ve done a few installs that covered many miles (one was a 10Mbit connection that covered 75 miles but … that cost over $15,000 in materials and a 500-foot radio tower.