On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 11:20 PM, Ryan Coleman <ryan.coleman at cwis.biz> wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2014, at 11:08 PM, paul g <pj.world at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> As everyone knows my posts are basically 'or have been' about my learning
> and my...  so called research <--some scoff'
>
> The introduction of Unix now more commonly named GNU-Linux <--from a basic
> standpoint as 'wishing to be smart’
>

> Then you should understand and know that Linux is not Unix at all.
> Linux is a fork from Unix from 20+ years ago. Unix is still alive and well
> (HPUX, AIX). Linux covers those that are called Linux and then there’s BSD
> which is another fork.

Linux is NOT a fork from Unix, it is a combination of GNU, a
reimplementation(and betterment IMHO) of the Unix userland tools, with
a kernel written by Linus Torvalds, but these two are certainly not
the only parts in the system. People have tried in the past to claim
that Linux is a derivative of Unix but there is no factual basis to
this claim.

Minix is another example of a reimplementation that does not share
code with the original Unix.

the various BSDs and commercial UNIX offerings(HP's HP-UX, IBM's AIX,
Microsoft's(yes, THAT Microsoft) Xenix, SCO's(Novels?) UnixWare,
Digital's Tru64, Sun's SunOS/Solaris, Apple's OSX... etc) are all
forks and derivatives of the original Unix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_%28software_development%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Unix
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Linux
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO%E2%80%93Linux_controversies