> On Dec 26, 2014, at 5:24 PM, Justin Krejci <jus at krytosvirus.com> wrote:
> Ryan,
> Where are you getting your odds from? And what do you mean by "outer areas" exactly? Outside of the 494/694 loop?

In order to have this happen there are MANY working parts to consider:

1) USI needs to have trunk capabilities. And right of way. Major roads are out of the question — Take a look at the coverage maps and see that Lyndale is not the main run through South Minneapolis which means I can never get fiber from them

2) To keep the cost low USI needs to own the fiber. In the suburbs your best options today (and for many years to come) are owned by CenturyLink. I can get USI fiber in the burbs with a CL primary for about 10x the price of USI in Minneapolis.

3) The cost to bury fiber is about $100/foot if you cannot directly bury the conduit. If you can dig and cover it’s about $10/foot (our termination point was about 1,800 feet from the building).

The benefits and profits do not outweigh the costs for the production. So either USI leases cable from CenturyLink or Level3 - and that cost will be passed on to the customers. In the city USI has already seen a positive return and is likely going to turn a profit on the trenching in the next 5-10 years, but going from a hub to, say, Burnsville? My commute to Burnsville is 12 miles each day… If they have to use a DitchWitch™ the whole way that could easily cost more than $5,000,000. Can they turn that + the branch routes out of Burnsville in 10 years? Maybe, but that’s really a tall order. Not to mention the capital cost of the hardware - these switches at the distribution point are very expensive.

There’s a reason the Minneapolis WiFi project took off and succeed as quickly as it did: the general cost to product a pole node and connection back to the hub was about $4500 each. A little more or less depending on the link type (copper, fiber or radio) and then have a radio technician come back after the hardware is installed and lit up (powered) to tweak any settings if needed.

—
Ryan