Greetings

This has been an odyssey yet compared to many of my such endeavors in the
past this venture has actually been successful.

I can now burn Bluray (25GB in case there is a difference) discs that are
NOT coasters!

Background:

Am running a Debian Jessie (testing) system with only one optical disc
machine, its an earlier model LG, and had never had the need to read bluray
discs and had not had any issues burning cds or dvds generally using k3b my
weapon of choice.

Tried all the settings I could find to get k3b (part of Debian
distribution) to burn bluray discs. Most times I was met with a resounding
error code and nothing would happen.
Next I read the following:

http://allgood38.io/burn-bluray-data-disks-on-linux-minimize-coasters.html

It seemed that I should be able to achieve success but I kept running into
road blocks (reading the following)

First check which block device the image is attached to:

> sudo losetup -a/dev/loop0: [0019]:7 (/mypath/MYBLURAY-DISC.udf)

Then use the mount command as you normally would. You don't actually need
the -o loop mount option, since it has already been attached to a loop
device with the losetup command.

> sudo mount /dev/loop0 /mnt

Now you write the files/folders you want to the mounted directory. The
great thing about this is the fixed size of the image, you won't
accidentally make it too large to be burned to disc.

I could see the disc name I had set up earlier using this:

By default, mkudffs will name the image "LinuxUDF" on mount, to change
this, add the additional argument:

> mkudffs --vid="My Label" MYBLURAY-DISC.udf

yet I couldn't find a way to access the disc.
Tried mounting the disc manually (I have to mount my RAID10 array manually
every time I reboot) yet I just couldn't get access.
Got sort of frustrating.

One suggestion from the responses to my question on the LUGs was to try to
use cdrtools.
That was a very interesting peek behind the scenes at the machinations that
occur at Linux distributions.

To make things even more challenging I could not download the tools
directly from cdrecord.org  - - - so I checked at sourceforge.net and was
able to find the software in question.

Then the author of cdrecord states that it is necessary to use gmake to
install the software giving reasons which I could understand but did not
really know what they meant or their implications (sorry no programmer
here!!).

It seemed to be that one should return again to using k3b to burn the
bluray discs but still no joy!!

Another suggestion from responders from the LUGs was that growisofs was the
cli program of choice for burning.

Downloaded the newest version I could find of that and installed it using
the dpkg -i and everything seemed OK.
Well - - - how do I use it?
Read the man page - - - it read like sanskrit (I'm western european
background and can fuddle my way through multiple languages but NOT that
one!  grin).
Tried finding help files with example - - no luck.
Still no joy, felt like I was just chasing my own tail and still wasn't
able to burn anything to the bluray disc!

Returned to

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CdDvd/Burning

but my file at k3b:setup:advanced:set up external programs had a lot more
programs listed.

Went back to the FAQ area at cdrecord.org and read through it a few more
times.
When I realized that I would have to change some of the files that k3b was
using I got a little concerned. (In the past I have managed to pooch my
system so that I actually had to do a re-install a real no joy event!!)

so reading files (can't find exactly which ones I was looking at - - -
sorry) I determined that the files in these three areas were now deprecated
by my installing the files from cdrecord.

The files in question:

/usr/bin/wodim
/usr/bin/genisoimage
/usr/bin/readom

so then I did the following (I wanted a way back if I were headed down the
wrong alley!!) :

made new directories, adding the suffix .old to each and then moved the
files using mv each to its respective container.

# mkdir wodim.old
# mkdir genisoimage.old readom.old
# mv /usr/bin/wodim /usr/bin/wodim.old
# mv /usr/bin/genisoimage /usr/bin/genisoimage.old
# mv /usr/bin/readom /usr/bin/readom.old

now I went to k3b and the files in question were not visible.
Next I needed to go into the k3b setup.

k3bsetup:advanced:

you must have checked both burnfree and show advanced GUI elements

it is also important when you now go to burn your selected files that you
so to the area that has 4 tabs (writing, image, filesystem, misc) there go
to the misc tab where you will find the Multi session mode where again you
must choose  No multisession (gave error message when auto was chosen).

I also chose the speed option x2 on the main page and the verify check box
on the writing tab (my habit).

At this point I was able to burn a bluray disc!!!

I checked the disc after burning and was able to access a few files
(perhaps I should have checked more but had a second one to do and other
things that must need doing today as well so a few examples would have to
suffice!).

Quest achieved!!