Hi there,

On Sun, 6 Apr 2014, Brian Wall wrote:

> From what I remember, the stock capture driver worked pretty well with
> the card out of the box.  That's why I shelled out for that specific
> card, it had a "works everywhere" chipset.

"Works out of the box" is one thing - I have a hauppauge tuner, too
(though a USB one). It works but MythTV's setup was weirder than all hell.
Again, it worked, but it's like Configure Capture Card, then Configure an
Input Method, then Configure Channels, and I think a few more steps.
Totally a Myth thing... they've been making it more and more complex for
no apparently reason. Oh, and you need to run a dedicated backend for
capture for some reason. Even though my capture card is on my media center
PC, not my media server...

> One of these years I'll pick myself up one of them new-fangled Blu-ray
> players with a DLNA client.

Hehe, I'm sure one of the Roku boxes or equivalent (which are like $50 I
think?) can do DLNA. At least you'd think so!

I have a PS3 which picks up my MythTV "shares" - but it refuses to play
any of the media. No video, no audio, nothing. I have no idea what kind of
weird formats it wants (it didn't even like my MP3 files).

> I would like to be able to rip DVDs (that I own, yes) and CDs (yes)

Do NOT apologise for that! I own hundreds of CDs (I may have passed 500, I
stopped counting when I was at 300+ and that was several years ago). CDs
are still the primary, almost exclusive way I get music. When you have
that many CDs the only way to possibly navigate it is to rip them all to a
server and play through there. Every CD I get is automatically ripped (in
FLAC) to the media server, and then put in a box in the attic (:

I've been going through my DVDs and Blu-Ray collection and doing the same,
now that I have the disc space... honestly with a lot of the TV shows I
have on discs it's easier to, uh, get the versions where someone else did
the ripping. Saves times. But yeah, having all my media on a server is
incredibly convenient... except that making backups of 10+ terabytes is
kinda hard.