The RTL-SDR dongle has a Ralink chipset maybe? So one would get many more channels than just am or fm talk radio by using that device? I pulled up the following website.

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 19:07:29 -0500
From: erikerik at gmail.com
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] off topic

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 6:59 PM, Ryan Coleman <ryanjcole at me.com> wrote:

If it worked I never would have given it up - having the option to listen to some broadcasts on demand from anywhere would have been too nice to pass up.

Agreed. With most stations live-streaming these days, it's likely not needed, but you could likely pick up one of those cheap RTL-SDR dongles to accomplish the same. They're well-supported in linux.

One can do all sorts of cool stuff with these dongles - homebrew police scanner (even for the 800 MHz digital systems), decoding weather satellite images, listening to shortwave radio, etc.