My gut says it's your ISP experiencing congestion (comparatively blind guess). You pretty much have to disconnect everything from your Internet DSL router except one test computer/laptop which should be plugged directly into your DSL router with a proper cable and not use wireless (actually turn it off completely). Ideally do this with a bootable live linux distribution to help avoid any possible background processes: virus update, os update, botnet induced traffic, peer 2 peer, etc. Then run various tests using a command like mtr or if on windows use ping plotter at a target out on the the Internet, ideally multiple targets spread out across multiple providers beyond your ISP (CenturyLink). These are often times extremely illuminating, of course if you don't comprehend the results well they can be either confusing or else lead to incorrect assumptions.

A program like Ntop can be helpful along the lines of what you're talking about where you're trying to diagnose a surge in network traffic on your own local area network. If you're on a Mac I know there is an app called little sniffer or something like that that identifies local application's network usage. On Linux there are a number of tools like jnettop, ntop (mentioned above), iptables , and others to help diagnose where traffic is coming from or going to.

Good luck!

-------- Original message --------
From: Ryan Coleman <ryanjcole at me.com>
Date: 09/22/2013  7:17 PM  (GMT-06:00)
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Home network monitoring?

Hah. Apple Mail autocorrected "speediest.net" ,… dammit it did it again: speedtest.net.

If you're on DSL and you're streaming more than 2 things you're likely going to have issues…. how do your pings start before the slowdown? can you keep a steady ping of 8.8.8.8 (google's DNS server) going and see?