Steve also wrote about MANPATH.  See below.

I'm running these tests on an outdated Ubuntu 9.10 box, but I expect that
the results apply wherever GNU is being used.

I also saw a lot of that stuff.  It was a lot to wade through and it never
got to the basic point.  Apparently, manpath is automatically figuring out
that if /whatever/bin is in $PATH and /whatever/man exists, then it adds
/whatever/man to the output of manpath.  I have not set $MANPATH or used a
~/.manpath or changed /etc/manpath.config, yet I get this:

$ echo $HOME
/home/mbmiller

$ echo $PATH
/home/mbmiller/bin:/home/mbmiller/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games

$ manpath
/home/mbmiller/local/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/share/man

Note that my $HOME/bin is in $PATH, but $HOME/man does not exist, and
$HOME/man is not listed in the ouptput of manpath.  However,
$HOME/local/bin is in $PATH, $HOME/local/man exists and $HOME/local/man is
in the output of manpath.

In other words, I don't have to do anything to get what I want from this.

More testing to confirm the theory:

$ mkdir -p blorf/{bin,man}

$ export PATH=/home/mbmiller/foo/bin:$PATH

$ echo $PATH
/home/mbmiller/foo/bin:/home/mbmiller/bin:/home/mbmiller/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games

$ manpath
/home/mbmiller/foo/man:/home/mbmiller/local/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/share/man

In other words, it works even when the directories are empty.

Mike