Steve couldn't post to the list, but his message is below and my response
follows.

Many thanks, Steve, for your effort on my behalf!  You reminded me that
emacs provides a very nice way of viewing info pages.  I plan to use it
more often.  It seems that $INFOPATH is alive and well.  I just figured
out how I am supposed to use it.  It typically does not exist unless the
user creates it because the info pages are made available from a central
location (as you describe below).  So I would do something like this:

export INFOPATH=/home/mbmiller/local/info:

Note the trailing colon.  That is explained here:

"If you do not define INFOPATH, Info uses a default path defined when Info
was built as the initial list of directories. If the value of INFOPATH
ends with a colon (or semicolon on MS-DOS/MS-Windows), the initial list of
directories is constructed by appending the build-time default to the
value of INFOPATH."

Source:
http://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/info-stnd/html_node/Invoking-Info.html

So I think this works for me in my ~/.bashrc whether $INFOPATH existed
previously or not:

if [ -d "$HOME/local/info" ]; then
     export INFOPATH=$HOME/local/info:$INFOPATH
fi

If it did not exist, then I get this:

export INFOPATH=$HOME/local/info:

That is, I get the desired trailing colon described above.

Mike