At Wed, 27 Nov 2013 11:14:42 -0600,
Erik Anderson wrote:
> My personal preference is IRC. In our case, though, there are many
> non-technical people that need to be involved, and are much more
> familiar/comfortable with instant messaging. XMPP can still provide
> for IRC-style chat rooms, and if you really want, curses-based XMPP
> clients are available as well. :)

My current toolkit includes bitlbee, for IM to IRC gateways, and ERC
(Emacs Relay Chat Mode).  Bitlbee supports common protocols like
Jabber, Google Chat (Jabber variant), Facebook Chat, and even Twitter
(though I find this to pale in comparison to twitter-mode), and it can
be used with any IRC chat client. Additionally, it'll support Off The
Record (OTR) for securing your communications over any of these chat
channels.

The one thing I very much like about this setup is that I don't ever
have to leave Emacs. :)

--
Chad