Having helped out to run the Penguins Unbound group I like the ideas
Michael and Erik have proposed.  Even though Penguins Unbound has had
InstallFests centered around Ubuntu, we just had our InstallFest in
November and there was Mint, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc. all tried out.  I believe
there will always be a place for activities like that in which one could
say it falls in the eco-system of Linux.
Going forward there are several great ideas proposed for future topics
(ZFS, Puppet) for the group.   These will not be Ubuntu or even Linux
specific per se but have ties the IT professional community in general (and
happen to run on Linux).

I would support meeting in January to refocus the group.  I think the
mailing list serves its purpose for a casual question/communication vehicle
but I am unaware if the TCLUG has met (other than to occasional social
event).

I would even propose a straw man that really centers around the IT
professional community that has tracks (like a conference).
These tracks could include something like: applied languages (java, ruby,
php), operating system focus (android, BSD, et. all), scripting/automation,
etc.  Each track could meet whenever it wanted assuming some volunteer to
manage said track.  There are already groups that have this focus and maybe
they would (if they wished) coordinate and/or run the track. In short, I'm
proposing that while a Linux User Group is definitely a piece of the fabric
of the IT community, the fabric is rich and should be flexible to the other
pieces of fabric to promote computing in general.  The refocus could help
bring out the focus around Linux and what is needed by our community in the
Twin Cities.

Count me in to be willing to assist.