I was using the PDP-11 at WPI in 1976, but that was a very challenging
system compared to what came a few years later.  There were no monitors,
just teletypes.  It was very painful to write program on that thing!

As a scientist, I see no substitute for Linux.  OS X just isn't going to
cut it for me, but on a laptop computer or desktop machine, maybe OS X has
potential.  I'm not going to find out because Linux is working for me
everywhere.  I do keep one Windows box for the odd program that won't run
on Linux.

The Free Software model seems also to be working great in the sciences and
I think it is performing very well for operating systems, too.  The big
problem with it is that programmers have to make a living somehow, but
writing a great program with no bugs that just works with minimal
documentation doesn't seem to pay back much if it can't be sold, not even
if 100 million people are using it.  Fame is nice, but it won't put your
kids through college, buy you a house or pay for dinner.

That said, Linux is a great OS for programmers and for programming
cooperatively in groups to produce some really nice software.  It is
wonderful for spare-time contributors, or people who just want to make
something better for their own use.  I have been amazed and very impressed
by what I have been able to get for free.  That massive free-software code
base creates opportunities for developers -- they don't have to start from
nothing because a lot of what they want is freely available to them, at
least if they are willing to stick with GPL.

What will the future bring?  It seems like nearly everyone believes that
the next phase will be about smaller devices and ubiquitous computing, and
that is where most development is occuring today -- tablets, smart phones,
wireless (WiFi, G4, etc) connectivity.  The big corporations behind all of
this want a lot of interaction with "the cloud," which means that they
will be storing a *lot* of information about you -- your physical
location, identities of your contacts, what you like, which web pages you
go to, where you eat dinner, etc.  Google is even collecting your DNA
(23andMe), if you'll let them!  I would like for people to use their own
Linux server as their personal "cloud", allowing for backup and other
kinds of information transfer while limiting sharing of info with
corporations.  I guess the corporations don't want that because they've
done away with the old kind of "syncing" with the home computer.

The NSA revelations should help Linux.

Mike