Ext4 has that >16TB limit if yu initially created the filesystem with
64-bit descriptors (or something). It did not in this case, so I'd have to
reformat no matter what. Ext4 is known to be occasionally problematic with
very large filesystems, and I figure if I am building from scratch I may
as well go with something that's meant for it.