On 2013.11.06 02:42, tclug at freakzilla.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So I think I may have nuked my RAID array. It was ext4 and couldn't be
> over 16tb, so I tried to remove the new drives so I could make a new array
> and then move stuff over, and ended up having to rebuild the old one and
> now I can't mount it anymore.
>
> ANYway, assuming I can't solve that problem (or even if I do!) I need to
> move my array to a new filesystem, and I'm considering either zfs, xfs or
> btrfs.
ZFS is what I would recommend, since it certainly has tons of awesome features, and is very mature (just reached its 12th birthday) and
production ready.
It's not likely to be as stable on Linux as it is on Illumos and FreeBSD, but the OpenZFS project is working to minimize platform
differences and make it as usable and stable as possible across as many platforms as possible. FreeBSD has excellent documentation and there
are even a few people on this list who are familiar with it if you decide to go that route.
One thing to keep in mind about ZFS is that it is an entire storage subsystem and doesn't do well if it has things like RAID controllers or
some other logical volume management working behind the scenes. It's best to give ZFS direct access to the disks so it can make good decisions.