Ok, why is everyone picking on Paul? There are always BSD discussions
on here. It's fine. We don't have to create a user group for every
stinking topic. I remember when there was all kinds of flaming back
and forth about whether a thread should be in TCLUG or TCWUG.

EITHER WOULD HAVE BEEN FINE!!!

As for your question, Paul, you should try it! My guess is that you're
not going to be very happy with the performance on a PIII. The X
server and applications are all expecting pretty generous system
resources so no matter what OS is underlying that, you're going to
have poor performance.

There have been a lot of good threads on here about running *nix on
older systems though. Many lightweight distros have been recommended.
Perhaps someone would like to mention their favorites?

I run Arch Linux on an older laptop in my garage, and use Xmonad and
the Midori web browser. It works great for having Gmail open, and
looking stuff up related to whatever I happen to be doing.

-Erik

PS Hey look, I pulled it back on topic!!!

--
Erik K. Mitchell
erik.mitchell at gmail.com