I've been running ZFS on Ubuntu for months now in a raidz2 configuration. One array has 6 drives. A different box started with 9 drives, but I recently added a SSD as a zlog drive.

Each group of drives is a "vdev" (virtual device). There's a guy whose posts are syndicated to Planet Ubuntu that has a dozen part series on zfs for Linux. That series is a great place to learn.

I'm very happy with the end to end checksumming. And, having been burned by raid rebuild times in the past, I've been happy with its ability to keep chugging along even as I've had multiple drives fall out of the array and even while it has been rebuilding itself after I've replaced the drive.

Raid -- even raidz -- isn't a backup. But I've been really happy so far, once I understood its performance characteristics.

You _really_ want to use an SSD as a logging device.

Each vdev in a raidZ will have the iops of a single device. If it does not have a logging device, that'll be the iops of a single hard drive. But, with a SSD logging device, I'm getting many multiples of that. Yes, it's not as fast as if it was all SSDs. On the other hand, 14T of useable SSD space would be cost prohibitive for home use.

Thomas