On Wed, 17 Apr 2013, Tony Yarusso wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Mike Miller <mbmiller+l at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So here's a question -- to upgrade to the latest version, must one
>> upgrade to each intermediate version in between?  For example, I have a
>> machine with Ubuntu 10.10...
>>
>> $ cat /etc/issue
>> Ubuntu 10.10 \n \l
>>
>> ...(in case anyone forgot how to tell the release version), and if I
>> want to upgrade to 13.04 in a few weeks, do I have to go through 11.04,
>> 11.10, 12.04 and 12.10 first?
>>

> "Sort of."  You can upgrade directly from one LTS to the next LTS (eg.
> 10.04 to 12.04), but can only go from a non-LTS to the next release.
> So, from 10.10 to 13.04, your upgrade path would indeed by the full list
> of 10.10, 11.04, 11.10, 12.04, 12.10, 13.04.

So I thought I'd try to do this.  The text below is divided into sections.
It's always something I wrote followed by something in an Ubuntu window
from the upgrade process.  The bottom line is that 10.10 wouldn't let me
upgrade to 11.04.

I started running update-manager.  The first thing I see is this pop-up
window:

Your Ubuntu release is not supported anymore

You will not get any further security fixes or critical updates.
Please Upgrade to a later version of Ubuntu Linux.

(close)

After closing the pop-up I get to the main window where I click "Upgrade".
This brings up the Release Notes window with the text below.  I click the
Upgrade button at the bottom of that window.

= Upgrading to a no longer supported version =

You are about to upgrade to a version of Ubuntu that is no longer
supported.

The target release of Ubuntu is '''no longer supported''' by
Canonical. The support timeframe is between 18 month and 5 years after
the initial release. You will not receive security updates or critical
bugfixes. See http://www.ubuntu.com/releaseendoflife for details.

It is still possible to upgrade this version and eventually you will
be able to upgrade to a supported release of Ubuntu.

Alternatively you may want to consider to reinstall the machine to the
latest version, for more information on this, visit:
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu

For pre-installed system you may want to contact the manufacturer
for instructions.

== Feedback and Helping ==

If you would like to help shape Ubuntu, take a look at the list of
ways you can participate at

   http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate/

Your comments, bug reports, patches and suggestions will help ensure
that our next release is the best release of Ubuntu ever.  If you feel
that you have found a bug please read:

   http://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Then report bugs using apport in Ubuntu.  For example:

   ubuntu-bug linux

will open a bug report in Launchpad regarding the linux package.

If you have a question, or if you think you may have found a bug but
aren't sure, first try asking on the #ubuntu or #ubuntu-bugs IRC
channels on Freenode, on the Ubuntu Users mailing list, or on the
Ubuntu forums:

   http://help.ubuntu.com/community/InternetRelayChat
   http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

== More Information ==

You can find out more about Ubuntu on our website, IRC channel and wiki.
If you're new to Ubuntu, please visit:

   http://www.ubuntu.com/

To sign up for future Ubuntu announcements, please subscribe to Ubuntu's
very low volume announcement list at:

(upgrade)

When I click "upgrade" this warning text appears in my terminal...

authenticate 'natty.tar.gz' against 'natty.tar.gz.gpg'
extracting 'natty.tar.gz'
WARNING: Failed to read mirror file

...the Distribution Upgrade window appears, but then that is obscured
by this information pop-up window:

Third party sources disabled

Some third party entries in your sources.list were disabled. You can
re-enable them after the upgrade with the 'software-properties' tool
or your package manager.

(close)

Closing that window returns me to the Distribution Upgrade window
which shows that it is fetching files successfully, but then it stops
and an error pop-up window appears saying this:

Error during update

A problem occurred during the update. This is usually some sort of network problem, please check your network connection and retry.

W:Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/natty/main/source/Sources.gz  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.33 80]
, W:Failed to fetch http://extras.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/natty/main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz  404  Not Found [IP: 91.189.88.33 80]
, E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

(close)

After that the update-manager closes and it's over -- no upgrade for me!

Is there a way around this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Mike