Thanks, but that is way, way too advanced for the people I'll be working
with.  The level should be more like "there's a 'sort' command and this is
what it does," or an explanation of pipes, or how to use the semi-colon on
the command line, or parentheses to make subshells, but some of those are
even a little advanced.  These are psychology and genetics grad students.

The biggest questions I have are about the best order to teach things in.
What's best -- explain the concept of a shell, or just start typing
commands?  Probably the former, then go to the kernel/shell concept, then
back to commands.  They need to know about "arguments" and "options".
They don't know anything.  I know that they can make good use of sort,
grep and awk for grabbing certain info in big data files.  They need to
know how to use 'less' for looking at output.  Then there are gazillions
more little things that we use like cp, mv, cd, df, du, cut, paste, tr and
a lot of aliases, plus a lot more that I can't think of off the cuff.

Like I said, I've done this before but I was hoping someone knew some good
web pages for the basics, in a step-by-step kind of layout.

Mike