I, typically, point people to the Advanced Bash-Scripting
Guide<http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/>
.
Although the title says 'Advanced', It has a good introduction to shell
programming (who's, what's, why's...etc).
It also has a great section on the 'Basics' of shell scripting.

I reference this guide quite ofter.
I hope this helps.

-> Jake