On 6/23/2013 11:37 PM, Brian Wood wrote::

> That's OK.  I didn't mention that this server is inside an office
> building. The propane and other generators you mentioned
> are interesting from a long term perspective.

Probably the best option going forward if your looking for 99.999% up
time is to lease some rack space in a colocation facility.  They
typically have multiple power sources, battery, & generator backup that
can run for days without external power.

I recommend the 511 building in downtown Minneapolis.  Many carriers are
located there so you can get nice internet speeds for cheap (it's just
an ethernet handoff).  There are other colo's around the Twin Cities
too, but I have no experience with them.  I'm sure they are all decent.

Since you mentioned you only have one server the cost might not make
sense, but once you start adding more servers this might be a good
option for you.

Just thought I throw this out there as no one mentioned this.