Doug Reed:

> I was definitely over the top for options, but Brian's original email
> didn't say what the purpose was of the system, but he did seem to
> indicate he wanted it to keep running for days at a time, not just
> minutes. If it is a critical piece of hardware, the suggestions should
> reflect that.

That's OK.  I didn't mention that this server is inside an office
building. The propane and other generators you mentioned
are interesting from a long term perspective.

I've thought about buying a UPS which would last longer, but I tend
to agree that beefing up the UPS isn't the way to go.  This is just a
guess but I think I could get by with 100 watts when the power goes
out.  I don't know how much I could produce with a bike generator.

That evening my UPS was beeping periodically and then about 15
seconds or so before it died, it started beeping wildly.  I turned
on the monitor to shut down the server, but I wasn't sure if I was fast
enough or if it had lost power before it had time to do much of
the shutdown.  At any rate, when the power came back on, the
server did also without me having to be there.  I had gone to
bed and just checked on things from home when the power
came on.

--
Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises