> Or look at it another way.... Why should I try to keep my server
> running when my ISP has been dead for hours or days? Ask the people in
> St Louis Park who are out of power still. Even cell sites usually only
> have so much battery backup before the cell company needs to bring in
> a motor generator of some sort.

Even if power is out your ISP may not be.

Out power went out about 9pm on Friday. I have something similar to
the originally linked battery backup ( I have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-VEC026BD-Electromate-Jump-Starter/dp/B000EJS9IM).
I plugged in my router and cable modem and was able to get online. I
only stayed online long enough to check the power companys website,
and seeing that power might not come back on until Sunday night I
re-prioritized my internet access and saved my battery.

Ironically, when power did come back up on Saturday morning at 10AM,
the internet was out, and wasn't restored until today at about 11AM.

--
Michael Moore