I run a Ubuntu 12.04 install in vmware player with 1GB memory using Unity.
 Runs just fine.  Smooth, no stutter can run chromium with a dozen plus
tabs with firefox for the our firewall gui, thunderbird, a handful of
terminals and music...blah blah blah...  Not going into the whole Unity
good/bad game played by the Linux communities at large mainly cause I
couldn't care less, it's not my main machine and just trying to keep tabs
on what they're doing but it does run just fine below the 2GB range.