I agree with Erik-  Like so many other key specs we look are tuned into
with consumer electronics each vendor will often publish there
specifications in a different unit of measure.  Laptop batteries are a
perfect example.  Vendors will post their numbers as miliamp/hours,
watt/hours, amp/hours, number of cells, etc.

Having said that I am sure there is some report somewhere where wifi has
been scientifically analyzed   Outside of that I have heard of people
having success of purchasing a usb hi Gain antenna . I purchased one for a
laptop to help with a similar aforementioned signal problem. I even went to
the extent of getting a short usb extension cable so I could mount it high
on the screen bezel. After all that work  i did not note any increase in
performance. I think there are other brands where people have had good
success.

David Nelsen, BoTG
Healthcare Technical Analyst
Slingshot Healthcare Informatics