On 1/27/2013 3:47 PM, Brian Wall wrote:
> N runs at 5.something Ghz, which IIRC is another "consumer" allotted
> space.
N runs in 2.4 and 5.0-6.1GHz. Why? That's a long story but the small 2.4
range is shared with air conditioners, motors, microwaves, bluetooth,
etc. RFI is very common right now.

5.0-6.1? Why so big? The channels are wider (20MHz and 40MHz for bonded
channels) but right smack freaking dab in the middle of that range is
the FAA's RADAR reporting array. How conventient. Channels (off the top
of my head here) 48-150 are in that range and if a blip comes in on it
the AP is required to open that frequency up for 30 minutes. It happens
a lot and is VERY annoying.

I could explain more but I would recommend, for reading purposes, you
find Xirrus' explanations because they have managed to make this more
down to earth and understandable.

I have dual-band routers all over my apartment. I run my computers on
5.0 and my devices on 2.4. They are all 802.11n.

Interference sucks.

--
Ryan Coleman
Wireless Internet Deployment guy for a small cabling company - MN State