I didn't see you state it that way, but no matter now.

That's an opinion that the US lags anybody in technology.  That's why we are
copied and plagiarized so much.

> > POINT of THIS POST:  I recall seeing some phones that do BOTH and
> > almost interchangeably.  Must have two RF chips. Not sure what that
> > means at data level or provider levels.
>
> There are what are called "World Phones" that have both CDMA and GSM.
> These are few and far between, though, and while they can hop
> between GSM networks with zero problems, they still have
> trouble hopping around CDMA networks.

> We're getting WAY the heck off topic here, but I'll say this.
>
> CDMA is an old, old, old and outdated technology. It is
> missing a lot of features GSM does, notably that you can't use
> voice and data at the same time with CDMA.

I haven't checked, but I have seen claims that CDMA can do both.  The
modulation and coding schemes are so complex and sophisticated, that there
are options to do both by various means, including code-division.

> Furthermore, CDMA is a lot better for locking users into a
> specific carrier. It is virtually unknown of to be able to
> take a CDMA phone to a different provider - try taking a
> Verizon phone to Sprint, for example.
> Good luck with that. If you buy an 'unlocked' CDMA phone
> you're still at the mercy of your provider.

Likely true, but irrelevant for me.  Never has been an issue for me.  I can
get used compatible phones easily enough.

> Contrast this with an unlocked GSM phone. First, since GSM
> /is/ in use globally, unlocked GSM phones are readily
> available. Google has been directly selling unlocked GSM
> Nexus phones for ages, for example, and you can get an
> unlocked GSM phone, not tied to any provider, on Amazon.
> Easily.

But I cannot get any acceptable GSM provider, and don't need a dead
technology necklace for my costume  :-)

> Once you have this phone, you can use it on any GSM network.
> In the world.

So what?  I have zero interest or use for that.  I have no interest in using
the worst providers in the US either.  GSM is a poor return on investment by
any and all criteria - for me.

> I have three unlocked GSM phones at home. If my primary phone
> breaks, I can easily move my SIM to a backup phone.

I have backup phones also.  An easy call to Sprint swaps my online hardware
at no cost no matter how many times I may do it per day.  Takes less than
1/2 hr to fully register the phone in their national networks.

I have some unusable old phones also, but they do measure in-band signal
strength in dbm in their diagnostic mode so I haven't tossed them yet.

> I've been using T-Mobile for a loooong time, and I can tell
> you that the quality of their service AND their customer
> service has gone downhill a looong way.

Have never heard that it was acceptably good.

> This has nothing at all to do with underlying technology and,
> Chuck, I think you misunderstood me completely if you thought
> that's what I'm saying.

Nearly everything you say seems to say you do believe it is a technology
matter and not the pragmatic one of good or best US service.

Note that I greatly respect your views even when I don't share them.  This
is not a personal squabble at all.  Some folks may benefit from seeing these
different views presented... But time to quit this topic :-)

Chuck