I am re-sending this in reply to Chuck's observations about phones. I have
tried to simply make a reply before but now I sent a new message in hopes it
will go through. It seems that when I reply to the message like I would
usually do, it goes back as some sort of html and I do not have that checked
here in the reply. Perhaps someone can help me so I can comment. Gosh I really
didn't think I was that computer illiterate!

 I have been unsuccessful in trying to state something here. I wonder what I
am doing wrong. Being a bit inept at this sort of thing I assume th at when it
says in my subject line that I am replying to tclug-list Digest, Vol 97, Issue
35 that it is enough.
 I want to respond to Chuck's statements  and will do so now

 Well, Chuck I agree with you. I think we in the USA have been getting screwed
over by the various cell phone providers for years. I went to Germany in 2005
and had an eye-opening experience. My friend there told me that  ALL incoming
calls on a cell phone are paid for by the caller with no exceptions. It costs
a lot to make those calls and consequently they get virtually NO spam calls or
calls from charities or people trying to sell them windows for their houses. I
thought that it was a great concept for the caller to pay for the call and too
bad we don t do that as well.
 My experience with cell  phones over-seas was that I knew my own phone from
the USA would not work there at all and I was a bit confused by trying to use
the phone system there as I was really unfamiliar with the system. Perhaps
next time I am there, but I still wont bring my own phone. We are totally
incompatible with their systems I think.
 You talk about the GSM phones and I think you are correct that most of the
rest  of the world uses that system. Why don't we also? So that our phone
carriers can have their way with us and bend us over as much as they want!
Competition is a myth really. I come from a time (1950's) when all local calls
were free within my area code and I didn't even know anyone outside of it. We
never had to figure out what a area code was unless we wanted to call out of
state to some relative or were in the military and making a call home and then
had to find out what our local area code was while sitting at a pay phone in
NYC. LOL

 I also wanted to  comment once about USI Wireless. I have used them as a way
cheaper and better alternative to cable in Mpls and Quest or whatever they
call themselves now. I am 73 and dropped my land line over 5  years ago. I had
DSL which was not too bad when I first had it with USFamily Net but got worse
when  I moved over to Qwest at the same address and the same physical line
being used. I went to USI because it was cheaper and no contract required. If
I would only save up a bit I could save by paying by the year and get my
service for about $18.95/mo instead of $24.95. I will try to do it this year.
 I have had few issues since they installed an outside antenna for me as I am
blessed with trees and high houses on all sides of me. It is rarely down now
since they upgraded things about 10 months ago.
 It can be an issue if you have a lot of trees or obstacles, so keep that in
mind if you are considering it.

 Ken