On Fri, 18 Jan 2013, Brian Wood wrote:

> There are tracfones.
> http://www.tracfone.com/
> I think mine is around $12/month.  Dr. Laura
> http://www.drlaura.com -- turned me on to them

Wow. Dr. Laura. Giving tech advice. My mind is officially blown.

Tracfone is not an alternative for us heavy data users. It's fine for
people who think of a cellphone as a, well, phone. To me, it's not. It's a
mobile computer which fits in my pocket and has a constant internet
connection. It's the friggin hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. It's the
kind of decide that's been the realm of fantasy since I was a kid. I very,
very, VERY rarely make phone calls on it.

Mike was complaining about the service from T-Mobile - they clearly
overcharged him for a phone that Google were selling directly for $350,
and ignoring their OWN advertisement. He wasn't complaiing about the
quality of the experience he was having with the device itself, and for
this kind of device you need unlimited -- and fast -- data.

Now, if you want an alternative to T-Mobile (or other providers) and you
have an unlocked GSM phone (which I do, and which a Nexus 4 should be
especially if you get it directly from Google) I'd recommend Simple
Mobile. They're a pay-as-you-go no-contract cellular provider, and for $50
a month you get unlimited voice and data. They just sell you the SIM card,
and you refill it how ever often you want to. For us heavy data users,
that's a fantastic deal.

Oh they're happy to sell you a phone too if you need one.