I recall my sister and her husband trying CenturyLink and it being
unbearable, although we live in Woodbury where the highest rate you
can get is 1.5Meg.  Maybe their 7Meg offering would be better, if it's
available for you.

Comcast recently hit me with that same increase (same promotion that
ended even) -- If you do end up being able to successfully haggle with
Comcast, you should let me know! :-)  I attempted it the other day
with no success, unfortunately.

Good luck with your search!

-Andrew