Most likely is that electrical outlet has lost its ground connection.
This is assuming it is a 3-wire grounded outlet to begin with. If it
is only a 2-wire plug, then the problem you are having with shocks
would be the expected result. The cause of the problem would not be a
fault in the computer, but a problem in the house wiring.

You said you plugged in a Triplite power strip and the "line fault"
light came on when plugged into one outlet but was OK in another
outlet. That indicates there is a bad outlet and it needs to be
replaced. This is easily something that you can do yourself if you are
CAREFUL and not afraid of a screwdriver. I recommend you plug a radio
or lamp into the outlet to be absolutely certain the power is off
after you throw the breaker. Don't rely on the labeling in the box.

If you are unsure what to do, either pay an electrician, or search
online, or buy a "how-to" book at the hardware store, or visit the
public library. If you can pump your own gas you should be able to do
this.

The suggestion to use a water pipe for ground is a possibility, but
only if there is no ground already on the outlet string. Above all, DO
NOT attempt to rely on the water in the pipe to provide an electrical
ground path around your water meter or any plastic pipe in the system.
Electrical code requires an actual copper jumper wire across the water
meter or across any plastic pipe if the water lines are used for
electrical grounds.

Yes, water can be a conductor of electricity, but it isn't a very good
conductor unless you have a high salt concentration in the water,
which you don't. In case you are still unsure, let me mention that
water-cooled transmitting tubes were fairly common 20 years ago. They
used distilled water to cool high-power transmitting tubes with
thousands of volts in the circuit. You absolutely don't want to rely
on water for grounding your house.

OK, a little more background, more than you wanted to know....

It has been standard practice for many years that computers are
required to have RF Interference suppression on all wires leaving the
case, including the power wires. This includes capacitors between all
three wires of the cord and the chassis of the computer. One result of
this is that if the chassis ground wire in the power cord is not
hooked to ground at the outlet, the capacitors inside the computer act
as a voltage divider and some amount of the 120VAC line voltage will
appear on the metal chassis of the computer.

Similar bypass capacitors exist in almost all radio and TV equipment
going back to well before WW2. (I used to own a WW2 radio that gave me
a tingle every time I touched it while barefoot on concrete....) This
is not a short or any sort of fault in the equipment, it is just an
unintended consequence of the design and NOT having a chassis ground
wire on the equipment. I'm also not saying that an electrical fault or
short in the computer is impossible, just unlikely, and if the
equipment was properly grounded, an actual fault in the equipment
would blow the circuit breaker through the chassis ground wire.

Back in the early 60's, the electrical code was changed so that all
new construction was required to use grounded outlets in the main
living area of the house. Some time later this was extended to all
wiring in the house, including basements. Eventually it became code
that structures had to be upgraded to 3-wire outlets before they could
be sold with a mortgage. Because of this it is very uncommon to still
find old 2-wire outlets in a home. But that doesn't mean the outlet
upgrade was done correctly.

To upgrade house wiring, the minimum was to replace the 2-wire outlet
with a 3-wire outlet and screw it into a metal outlet box that has
metal conduit between the boxes. This is usually sufficient, but if
any joints get rusty or loose, the grounding may fail. The best option
is to have an actual copper ground wire from the outlet to the metal
box and from box to box, all the way back to the electrical panel.
This is what I prefer, but I'm a worrier.....

In this particular instance, it sounds like you have one bad
electrical outlet or the ground connection at the outlet has failed. I
recommend you check the other outlets in the room and possibly all the
outlets in the house or apartment, since if one failed, you don't know
what else might have failed. I'd be most worried if you see the fault
light flicker as you plug in a second cord to the outlet, or
especially if the fault changes when you plug into a different
outlet....

This ground fault is the most likely reason the computers died,
especially if you have them connected to any other piece of equipment
or to a network. If the computer can't get its ground through the
3-wire power cord as it should, it will try to make a ground through
some other piece of equipment. And in most cases those other
connections go through the motherboard which isn't designed to be a
ground for the equipment. What happens when you put 60 volts into a PC
card? POOF goes the mobo...

There have been a lot of good replies to the original email and a few
less good replies. I'm reasonably certain that anyone who can build
their own computers and keep Linux running can locate and replace a
bad outlet. There is lots of How-To help online, at YouTube, and in
the public library. If you want you can even buy a book at Menards in
the electrical department when you buy the replacement outlets.....

Good luck!

Doug Reed.