This is provided by the electrician.  The electrical company's liability ends at the meter.  Often, they will not provide service until there is a proper ground for the premise.  This ground rod is the electrical system ground - my pedantic point here was the ground at the pole isn't designed to ground your home/business, but is for the power company.

As far as new homes, there is usually a grounding bar provided at/near the electrical meter, as the system electrical ground needs to be within 20 feet wire length from the point of entry of electrical service.  Other electrical systems are required to use this ground (though they don't physically need to be there, they need to run a ground back to this grounding bar.  This is considered a common electrical bond.  It's all designed to make everything safer.  For the purposes of code, every different system, your home network, your telephones, your CATV, etc, is considered a separate "system" and, according to NEC, should be bonded to the common electrical bond. Water pipes, etc, are no longer accepted according to code.

-----
Eric F Crist