I have very recent experience on this having just recently built a new
house. When getting the physical phone lines run from the pedestal in
the street to the house I had a curve ball thrown at me as the phone
line HAS to be connected to the house where the power comes in. Where
the power comes in there HAS to be a dedicated ground with a provided
grounding plate for phone and others to ground to. This is per code
according to both the CenturyLink tech and my electrician. So whether
the "power company" has to provide the ground directly or "the
electrician responsible for the house wiring" has to provide the
ground... I don't know, I just know it IS required to be present for
code.

In my case I had ran all of the low voltage everywhere in the house and
having noted that the CenturyLink pedestal is on the north west corner
of my property and the north west corner of my house is where I have all
of my cables terminated at I thought this was going to be perfect, they
can run the phone line up about 20 feet to my house and be done.  The
curve ball is that the power is on the opposite side of the house
(breaker box in the attached garage) so the phone line had to be brought
in over there to attach to the power ground. So I had to obviously run a
new cable through the garage back over to where my wiring all runs to
for DSL. Too bad I didn't know about this myself until after the drywall
was all installed. It is so much easier and cleaner to run the cabling
inside the walls. Oh well, at least the room where it all runs to is
adjacent to the garage so I only had to go through one internal wall.