On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 12:41 AM, Erik Mitchell <erik.mitchell at gmail.com>wrote:

> In my career, I've had the good fortune of working with people from
> all over the world. India, China, Romania, Hungary, Ukraine, Canada,
> Latvia, Jamaica, as well as other countries I'm sure I'm forgetting. I
> consider my life richer for the friends I've made, and I've always
> felt bad when my friends have to deal with extra hassles to deal with
> immigration issues, just so they can live and work where they'd like
> to on this planet. I've felt ashamed when I see fellow Americans treat
> them badly, just because they were born elsewhere on the planet.
>
> I hope in my lifetime I'll have the chance to travel to other
> countries to live and work, and I hope to find people who are
> welcoming, rather than the type of people to bitch and moan about
> their lot in life, like I'm seeing on this thread. I think it's
> bigoted and pathetic, and I'm glad I don't work with you.
>
> That is all.
>
> -Erik

How nice of you to make assumptions and pronouncements about what a bad
person I seem to be.  If your comments aren't directed at me despite
responding to my post, my apologies. But with that said...

I too have worked with people all over the world.  I used to manage a
service across 50+ sites world-wide and worked with people on every
continent except Antartica.  Without fail the people I worked with were
good people, and I enjoyed all of my interactions with them.  My comments
were not intended to be mass indictments. However, that said, cheap
over-seas talent is not a magic bullet for lowering costs.  I've met
multiple managers who've tried to move software development activities
overseas, and they could not attain high quality results until they
relocated people over there to supervise and manage and once they did that
the value proposition evaporated. However, cheap labor in manufacturing
sectors has in fact yielded some big returns, as evidenced by trying to buy
something Made in the USA in Walmart.

However, that same quality risk exists for manufacturing processes
overseas. The company I work with now uses heavy-lifting devices to lift
heavy pre-cast concrete panels. We had one fail, which dropped a 20-ton
panel onto a crane (destroyed the crane, but the operator escaped
unscathed). When we tested the lifting devices we discovered a non-trivial
percentage of them were failing. When we engaged the supplier and asked
why, we learned he'd stopped sourcing his steel from American mills and was
bringing in steel from China that was certified by the supplier to be of
the same quality (but clearly wasn't).

Switching back to labor as a resource though, before condemning anyone with
protectionist tendencies as bigoted and pathetic, I would suggest you try
to find a job with your technical skills in Canada, Australia, and most
European countries.  What you'll find is that the governments of those
countries protect their labor markets, and the companies supposedly
burdened by the higher labor costs are still very successful.

Regardless, this is an issue of public policy, not bigotry.

Kind regards.

-Rob