I've been using Flash Video Downloader add-on to Firefox (on Ubuntu) to
download YouTube videos and play them with VLC.  They play much better on
VLC than they do with Firefox.  It isn't just because of buffering because
even with good buffering in YouTube on Firefox I get a lot of jerking of
the video with higher definition.

The nicest thing I downloaded so far was a full version of Baraka (1992)
in 1080p HD.  It seems to be gone now, probably because of copyright
issues, but it looks like some 720p versions are available.

Now that Samsara (2012) is out on DVD (it's like Baraka, made by same
people), I'm wondering if I can get a nice HD version on the web.  I found
that YouTube has it in 720p (1280x720) but it cost $4.99.  That's not a
lot of money, so I took a chance and paid for it.  Well, it just doesn't
play well on my system at 720p in YouTube/Firefox so I used Flash Video
Downloader to download it to my hard drive.  That seemed to work until I
opened it in VLC -- it shows the right length (1:42:16) and the file is
about 1.5 GB, and VLC runs, as if it were playing the movie, but there is
no video and no audio.

Do any of you know anything about this?  I don't know if it's a DRM issue,
but that's what I suspect.  I just want to watch the movie that I paid
for.  I don't want to rip them off and I'm not going to distribute copies.

Thanks.

Mike