Yeah, in the Fedora/CentOS installs, I do believe there's an option asking
what you'll be using the machine for... else, a "server install" is just
not selecting any desktop manager. (At which point X wouldn't be installed
either, unless you went and selected it)

In terms of using Fedora as a server, I tend to shy away from that, only
because of the 6-mo release cycle and the 18-mo support life.  I usually
end up using CentOS for my servers for that reason... but, if I find I need
something a bit more bleeding edge, I'll opt for Fedora.