On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 6:19 PM, Jason Hsu <jhsu802701 at jasonhsu.com> wrote:
> How about Debian?  I've been able to get a minimal Debian stable command-line-only setup to work as a firewall/server at home.  I wasn't able to figure out how to do this in FreeBSD.

I like using Debian when I set up servers. It's partly because it's
what I'm used to (having run Debian, then Ubuntu then Debian) on my
desktop computers, but it's partly because the base install is nice
and small, and there's a lot of documentation online (mostly
unofficial) and the stable release tends has a long history of being
reliable.

I've used it with success in a PXE boot environment, in VMs and on
real hardware and it's always been a pleasure to work with.

Unless there's a compelling reason to use another distro, I'll go with
Debian every time.

It's probably no better or worse than any of the other distros, but it
works for me.

Doesn't Fedora / CentOS provide a server install that doesn't include
X and all the desktop stuff? If you're a Fedora guy, that'd probably
be a good place to start, unless you're looking to learn a new distro.
--
Michael Moore