On Sun, 3 Feb 2013, Brian Wood wrote:

> It doesn't seem unreasonable to think a distro would target service
> providers.

Here's the problem with this - every business is different.

Back in the Olden Days when we still had many varieties of UNIX all over
the place, one of the selling points for SunOS/Solaris/HPUX/AIX/Tru64 and
all the other 'real' UNIX-variants over Linux was that they were business
oriented. And I can tell you from experience that each and every one of
those needed to be customised further by just about every business that
used them.

You just cannot avoid that.

Now you could go the OpenBSD route and just start with EVERYTHING
disabled, and then you have to go in and enable everything you want.
Whether that is in any way easier to do than shutting down stuff you don't
need is ebatable (though the security implications are obvious).

this is why big organisations have jumpstart/kickstart servers that
install customised versions of the OS. And even then, most places will
have their custom hardening scripts.

Again, NO DISTRIBUTION will be perfect for you. If you're comfortable with
Fedora you should keep using it, and create a hardening script that you
can run and will automatically stop/uninstall stuff you don't want. Then
just run that after install. It's a lot simpler than moving to a different
distro.