Personally, I never heard of most of that stuff, except OpenOffice
(which I usually delete) and Ruby (that I've never looked at).

I've been enjoying the Arduino Uno virtual serial port over USB. Made a
little tcl/iWidgets monitor program to set the virtual port properties
and communicate with the Arduino device. Enjoyed the Wiring programming
language, and have been adapting a "Tiny Basic" interpreter for the
Arduino. (Mostly making the C more readable using a great old editor,
nedit.)

On another effort, I keep working on an RS232 program that allows the
user to play with the modem control lines using the Linux ttyS posix driver.

In yet another effort, I've updated the XForms library wrapper in
FreePascal.

It all works for me on opensuse. And it is what I like to do with Linux;
explore computing capabilities. Perhaps you never heard of stuff that
interests me either. But I don't rate my stuff vs. your stuff.

I think many of us would prefer learning to judging.