How would you skip them, download the iso run the install and choose
upgrade?  That should work without issue especially if you let it remove
the packages that are no longer supported at the end but I don't think I'd
trust that process if it was a machine I was depending on.

For what it's worth I just did some 'do-system-upgrade' upgrades from 12.10
to 13.04 without any issues, but I keep pretty clean systems (no installs
from source, etc....) so I rarely have problems.