On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 6:32 AM, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <
chrome at real-time.com> wrote:

> On 04/04 12:43 , gregrwm wrote:
> > i was just about to migrate containers onto this box.  it was fine last
> > week.  well heck, better run some tests instead i guess.  but what?  if
> it
> > wasn't raid1/lvm, i'd run fsck -c, but as it is raid1/lvm, what should i
> > bang on it with?
>
> Spinrite is payware, but it does work for finding bad blocks on the
> underlying disk.
> http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
> The site is a bit dated, but the tool is good. Only downside I've found is
> that if you have a bad spot on your disk, the tool can spend a *very* long
> time trying to recover data from it even if you know for a fact there's no
> data there you want to recover (such as in the case of a disk you don't
> have
> any data on you care about). There's no way to tell it to just mark certain
> sectors bad and not try to recover data from them.

It also doesn't handle SATA disks well. I tried to use it to recover data
from a SATA drive and it blew up with a divide by zero. Tech support for
spinrite just told me that it works best on IDE drives. I ended up
returning it for a full refund. When I want to recover a system now I use
dd_rescue.

--
http://mtu.net/~jpschewe