On 04/04 12:43 , gregrwm wrote:
> i was just about to migrate containers onto this box.  it was fine last
> week.  well heck, better run some tests instead i guess.  but what?  if it
> wasn't raid1/lvm, i'd run fsck -c, but as it is raid1/lvm, what should i
> bang on it with?

Spinrite is payware, but it does work for finding bad blocks on the
underlying disk.
http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
The site is a bit dated, but the tool is good. Only downside I've found is
that if you have a bad spot on your disk, the tool can spend a *very* long
time trying to recover data from it even if you know for a fact there's no
data there you want to recover (such as in the case of a disk you don't have
any data on you care about). There's no way to tell it to just mark certain
sectors bad and not try to recover data from them.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator