Michael Greenly:
> Just for curiosity's sake what closed source commercial applications do
you
> use?  I've tried a few things but never found anything compelling?

Windows and Microsoft compilers.  Using that software is
mostly a pain, but from time to time they do something well.

I've not used Totalview recently, but it enjoys a good
reputation among the debuggers available on LInux.

> I always seem to fall back to Vim and command line tools.

Me too.  Originally with what I'm working on -- an on line
code generator -- I had a web interface.  Twelve or so
years ago that seemed to make sense, but eventually
someone suggested a command line interface and I realized
that was a better idea than a web interface.  Developing the
command line interface over the past few years has been a
great experience.
http://webEbenezer.net/build_integration.html .

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!searchin/comp.lang.c$2B$2B/investment$20review$20brian%7Csort:date/comp.lang.c++/YiW387bQSds/76r-x7saSeYJ

Should start another thread but am lazy...

sock_type cmw::udp_server (uint32_t port)
{
  sock_type sd = getSocket(SOCK_DGRAM);
  sockaddr_in si_me;
  si_me.sin_family = AF_INET;
  si_me.sin_port = htons(port);
  si_me.sin_addr.s_addr = htonl(INADDR_ANY);
  ::std::memset(&si_me.sin_zero, 0, sizeof(si_me.sin_zero));
  if (::bind(sd, (sockaddr*) &si_me, sizeof(si_me))==-1) {
    throw failure("udp Bind errno: ") << GetError();
  }
  return sd;
}

Is the memset needed?  Stevens says sin_zero is not used.
Others on the newsgroups say clearing the field is needed
on a few platforms.  I've left the memset in just to be on the
safe side.

--
Brian Wood
Ebenezer Enterprises