On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Craig Rosenblum <crosenblum at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have never run a lamp stack. I have run apache/php/mysql on both
> windows & linux. But usually using some installer.
>
> But I am familiar with httpd.conf, php.ini files, and tweaking them.
>
> I am very much a beginner with linux, but would like to just get an
> entry level or intern job, just to get some practical experience in
> linux/lamp work.
>
> Setting up sites on lamp, doing php programming, mysql database work.
>
> I am willing to work for free or cheap, just to get some experience,
> and have someone take the time to teach me.

I got started when I had a similar level of experience. I'm sure that
there are many routes to take.

If you have ANY other skills I would encourage you to use them to get
a paying job and not work for free.

The three jobs that I had that got me from entry level to where I am
today were:

1) Support desk
Support was for teachers using Win and OSX desktops, but we had a
ticket tracking web page. When it broke I volunteered to try to fix it

2) QA Engineer
The job I was hired to do was to manually run written test scripts (on
Windows desktop software). When the company website needed fixes or
changes I volunteered.

3) QA Engineer
With the previous two jobs I was able to get a Linux software testing
job. My main job didn't involve Linux administration, I started by
used pre-made VMware images to test against, but grew into making my
own images. Also volunteered to help with website problems and changes
as they arose.

Other factors:
The first two jobs weren't even Linux jobs, but since Linux is hiding
everywhere I was able to work my way in. Both companies were small
enough (100ish people) that there wasn't a dedicated server admin
person. That does mean that I had to learn almost everything on my
own. I have always had a toy Linux server at home. I use it as a home
media server, backup server, development web server, etc. where I
could try new things.

Michael Moore
--
Support the digitization of the Iron County Miner newspaper archives
Like this project on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/digitizeicm