As odd as it may sound, I noticed similar behavior at my last job when
Firefox was having trouble reading any of its local files... so, I'd make
sure your file system isn't full-up. -- Only thing I can think of.

In our case, the directories were mounted over the network and when the
machine they existed on bogged down, Firefox would start taking forever
while Chrome and Ice Weasel were working fine.

But, given that Chromium is working (on the same PC, right?) -- then it's
almost definitely a Firefox issue. -- If it wasn't only Firefox, I would
say reset all the network connections... I had a laptop that got really
funky with DNS look-ups after a while on the wireless, but resetting the
network would always fix it.  But, since Chromium works (thus DNS lookups
are fine), I doubt it's this.

Hope that helps.  If not, hopefully someone else has some better ideas!

-Andrew

Thank you,

Andrew Dahl
BS Computer Science 2011